Tuesday, August 28, 2007

More On "Feed The Pig"

I was reading the August 2007 issue of the Journal of Accountancy yesterday and noticed the following letter to the editor:

As a dues paying member of the AICPA, the New York State and Louisiana societies of CPAs, I am writing to express my total disgust with the “Feed the Pig” program for retirement planning (“Inside AICPA,” May 07, page 102). I have never found it to be appropriate, and after yesterday that has become completely clear.

Imagine my horror while watching TV with my wife and the following commercial came on. It showed a man in a suit with a pig head, seeming to shake down small businesses and individuals for money.

How in anyone’s imagination could an ad such as this ever have been approved by the Board of Trustees of the AICPA. The last time I saw a character with a pig head was on a recent “Dr. Who” episode. What does this ad do for the image of the AICPA?

The ad, along with the program, should be immediately withdrawn from promotion by the AICPA. It would seem that an organization such as ours could find a more appropriate mascot for the program.

In considering a replacement for “Feed the Pig,” perhaps a frog turning into a prince with a tag line: “You can create a princely sum by saving toward your retirement on a monthly basis.” It might become as popular as the GEICO ads and be a whole lot more appropriate for our organization.

I believe it is time for the AICPA to consider its true purpose.

What was more incredible was the AICPA's defense. It was about 4 times as long as the above letter. You can see it here.

I'm with the writer of this letter. What a horrible name for a campaign.

No comments: